What is a healthy diet?
A healthy, balanced diet contains a variety of foods, including:
- Plenty of fruit and vegetables
- Plenty of starchy foods such as wholegrain bread, pasta and rice
- Some protein-rich foods such as meat, fish, eggs and lentils
- Some dairy foods
- Not too much fat (especially saturated fat), salt and sugar
- Plenty of water or other fluids (at least 4 pints a day)
Eating and conditions, illnesses and aging
As you age, your digestive and immune systems may become less efficient. It is important to eat well and nutritiously to get the most out of your food. If you have health conditions such as diabetes, arthritis or high blood pressure, your doctor or dietician can help you understand if you need to make changes to what you are eating.
Loss of appetite can be a symptom of some illnesses and mental health problems, such as depression and anxiety. If you experience long-term appetite loss, speak to your doctor about it.