Please review and correct the information below.
Occupational therapy

Occupational therapy

How could an occupational therapist help me?

An OT will usually assess you in your home to see what your strengths and difficulties are. Following your assessment they may:

  • provide advice and information or demonstrate techniques to help you manage everyday tasks
  • loan you equipment free of charge for as long as you require it– (the Independent Living Service does not provide wheelchairs or walking aids as these are supplied by the NHS)
  • organise minor adaptations like rails if your disability prevents you getting around your home safely
  • help you plan and organise major building works to your home if it is very difficult for you to live independently or the layout prevents you getting around
  • discuss options if building work is impractical or you might be better moving to different accommodation
  • help those offering you care, for example, if you have trouble with mobility or movement, they may advise about handling techniques or special equipment.
Last reviewed:  27/05/2016

Useful links:

Report this page

Close window

You can use this form to register any query or complaint you may have about this website or any of the content within it. Simply fill in the details below and this will be sent directly to us to investigate. We will always try and respond within one working day.

Page Reference: Understanding Occupational therapy

However if you have further concerns about internet safety and would like further independent advice, please select the CEOP button below.

Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre Internet Safety
Helpdesk Icon

Need help?

Close window

If you need help using shop4support call the shop4support Helpdesk on
0333 600 6330 or email info@shop4support.com

If you have a question about social care, please contact your council.
Find out who your council is here.