Please review and correct the information below.

Self service pathway

How this self service pathway works

  • What is it?

    The self service pathway is a series of steps and forms to help people consider their situation before making contact with the County Council.

    Who is it for?

    Any adult over the age of 18 can use these forms, including the person in need of support or their carer.

    What do I do?

    Click using the arrows to the right and left or the numbers at the top to progress through the pathway. Firstly, you will need to create an account if you don't already have one before starting to complete a form. To create an account, click here. You will be asked a series of simple questions to create your Connect to Support account.

    You can then start completing your form. You will also be able to save the form to complete it later if you don't have time to do it in one sitting. To retrieve and finish your form you will just need to click on 'Log into your account' at the top left of the page, and log back into your account then click 'My assessments' tile where you will find the form.

  • Consider your situation

    Think about what works well in your life and what needs to change. It may be helpful to do this with a family member, friend or someone else you trust.

    What do I need to do?

    Complete the self-assessment form. Choose the appropriate form:

    Person needing support Carer

    If you prefer to complete the form manually you can print the form and fill it in by hand:

    What do I do with the on-line form when I have completed it?

    You'll find your form in 'My account'. You can choose to keep it to help you plan your support independently or submit it to the County Council as background information about your personal circumstances.

  • You can find information on benefits, by visiting our Financial help page.

    The County Council suggests Carewise or independent care funding information and advice.

    Consider your finances

    Now that you have worked out what needs to change, think about how you might pay for this. Make a note of your income and savings.

    What do I need to do?

    Complete the Financial self-assessment form to give you an overview of your finances and an indication about local authority funding. You will be asked a series of questions about weekly income and expenditure, savings and investments and property. You can choose to submit your form to the County Council or keep it for personal use. If you do choose to submit it you should include your self-assessment of care needs set out in Step 1 and 2.

    Before you start to complete the form you should gather together information to be able to answer the questions, for example these may include your bank statement, savings certificates, notices from the Department for Work and Pensions. The form will take up to 20 minutes to complete depending upon how much information you need to enter.

    What do I do with the on-line form when I have completed it?

    You'll find your form in 'My account'. You can choose to keep it to help you plan your support independently or submit it to the County Council with your self-assessment of needs as background information about your personal circumstances.

  • Developing a plan

    Support planning is an opportunity to consider how best to arrange services and supports and have a plan that fits around your particular lifestyle. It is all about trying to live your life as independently as you can, recognising that sometimes it is the small things that make a big difference for our quality of life.

    How do I do this?

    Think about what already works well for you, such as informal networks of support, community activities, friends and family, and then consider how this can work for you alongside using specialist equipment, telecare or some more formal types of support. This will help you form a plan that fits around your particular lifestyle and help deliver the outcomes that you have identified as important in your self-assessment.

    What next?

    Think about what you can afford - this will be helpful when using this web site to find local groups and activities and /or search and shop for products and services. Read the Buyers' guide and set up your account to purchase from the website. Once your services and supports are in place think about how these changes help you live as independently as you can, and how you will check if anything needs to be adjusted.

  • Reviewing the plan

    Now and again it is important to think about if the plan is still working. Consider if anything has changed and if current services and supports still work well for you or need to be adjusted? Sometimes simple changes can make a big difference.

    Why do I need to do this?

    A review of your plan will help you make sure you are getting value for money and highlight if there are any changes needed. You may wish to do your self-assessment again, or contact your doctor or the County Council for specialist advice.

    How often should I do this?

    We recommend at least once a year.

    If you would like specialist advice, you can contact Adults' CarePoint:

    Phone: 01243 642121
    Email: socialcare@westsussex.gov.uk
    Opening hours: 9.00am - 5.00pm, Monday - Friday (excluding Bank Holidays)

Last reviewed: 04/06/2015

Report this page

Close window

You can use this form to register any query or complaint you may have about this website or any of the content within it. Simply fill in the details below and this will be sent directly to us to investigate. We will always try and respond within one working day.

Page Reference: Self service pathway new

However if you have further concerns about internet safety and would like further independent advice, please select the CEOP button below.

Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre Internet Safety
Helpdesk Icon

Need help?

Close window

If you need help using shop4support call the shop4support Helpdesk on
0333 600 6330 or email info@shop4support.com

If you have a question about social care, please contact your council.
Find out who your council is here.